Our church is thought to have been designed by William Burn and was built largely due to the efforts of prominent local landowners James Burnet of Barns, William Stuart of Glenormiston, and William Forbes Mackenzie of Portmore.
The foundation stone of our church was laid on 30th March 1836 with masonic honours and a procession that included the local silver band and Council office bearers. A copy of the Scotsman newspapers and coins were supposedly placed within the foundation stone. The building was completed within a year and consecrated by the Bishop of Edinburgh on 19th April 1937.
In the beginning, only the nave of the church existed, but there was a gallery housing an organ over the entrance door. Around 1880 to 1884 the gallery was removed and the chancel, organ chamber and back vestry were added. Notably more ornate, the chancel area includes a moulded stone chancel arch; carved stone corbels; carved wooden choir stalls and panelling; an ornate altar; mosaic flooring and a massive pillar of polished granite.
In 1909 the present three-manual Harrison & Harrison organ was installed with financial help from wealthy philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.
Electric light was not installed until 1947 and family name plates existed on the pews until 1951. Our vestry was extended in 1932 and 1966.
Our magnificent stained glass windows have been gifted and installed in the 1880’s, 1927 and 1930. Our recent restoration project has returned these to their original glory.
Other items of note include our war memorial plaque; the font; the pulpit; and a number of old and new memorials and artworks on the walls. Our porch has a wonderful, modern ceiling fresco. From the street outside, admire the simple, elegant pinnacles and buttresses.
From 2009 to 2012 the church building has been fully restored at a cost of £180,000, with generous assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund. This project has ensured that the building will be a place of worship for many generations to come.